Gambling Therapy logo
Jonny123987
Participant

Day 104. Definitely tough to not think about loss. Tough not To be negative. To dwell on the urges, pains, and unhealthy thoughts. To just give in.

I used to invest heavily. I had the money to do so. I made about 15% in interest or so in 2015. As I’m doing my taxes My accountant asked what happened to my Roth IRA’s, stocks, and mutual funds. I didn’t expect the question for whatever reason, and it just hit me. I lost it all. I hadn’t told anyone besides family. “I, I, I moved the money” I replied. Sheasked why? You were doing so well. I had no real answer. Where did it go she said? I had no answer. To a normal person over $50,000 doesn’t just disappear in less than a year. Especially after you earn a healthy salary for 2016. She is baffled… I’m embarrest and feeling like an asshole.

Crap like this does trigger some horrible feelings. I think everyone gambling addict/compulsive gambler should get a life coach for a few sessions. I know they aren’t cheap. But think about how much money you lose gambling. A few hundred to help ourselves isn’t really that expensive. My life coach helped me understand that I was gambling because I was hurting about something that had happened earlier on in my teenage years. The feeling helped trigger me every moment of every day. I just buried it and thought I was past it but I really wasn’t. I struggle with it everyday. I knew it was there but never accepted it until my coach asked a good question and my answer puzzled me.

I choose to remain possitive no matter what happens to me. I have had to teach myself to walk three times in life. Not gambling might be considered a fourth. I screwed up bad. I hurt myself and people I love. I cheated myself out of happier years. I am okay with that. I have learned from it and choose for today to be a little bit better. I will listen to people, I will love myself, I will love my friends more. I will send three to five nice texts and calls to friends and family. I will keep being hopeful for a brighter future.