Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      everton84
      Participant

Hello, and thanks for reading my post. I’m a 30 year old male, and I have been gambling since I was 18. My main problem is online gambling, mainly on sports, this is the first time I have looked for help and guidance, I have in the past tried closing my accounts etc, but always found a way around it and opened new accounts. I have just before posting on here excluded myself from any accounts I still had open, so hopefully that will be the last time and I can continue with the rest of my life.

I am looking for any guidance to point me in the right direction for advice or things to do, I just feel a bit lost and alone at the moment.

A bit more detail of my cg, I like using the exchanges for betting, such as betfair, I like the fact you can back or lay. I was at one point making a bit extra income on a weekly basis. However after so long, I was used to this bit extra, and wanted a bit more and so on. This just led to big liabilities and I couldn’t cope with losses and would try to win it back, which obviously escalated into large losses.

I get to phases were I know what I am doing is stupid and plan to stop, but then within days I’m back to it again.

My life is a mess at the moment because of gambling, I am lucky that I have quite a decent job, bit this has just give me extra income to gamble, and bigger debts available to me, I haven’t progressed in my career because I spend any spare time gambling, even in work when I get a chance. Relationships have fell apart, again because of gambling. I’m going to stop here and thanks again to anyone who has read my post. Any advice would be great.

Dunc
      Keymaster

<

Hello and thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy forums

Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!

Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.

And on that note….

I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our
      privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

monique
      Participant

Hi Everton.

Welcome and well done for this step in your life. I hope you will find your way around the forum and the various ‘live’ groups as well and that you will find a lot of help and support.

Best wishes,

Monique

velvet

Hi Everton
      Well done starting your thread
      You are right that having a decent job can mean you have more money to gamble but the biggest danger in your addiction lies in what the gambling does to your heart and mind, not your wallet.
      You have done well cancelling your accounts – now make yourself truly accountable for your money.

Have you been to GA? If not then find a meeting and go -– being with fellow CGs will not only help you to feel less alone but will help you be accountable.
      What enjoyable hobbies have you abandoned for your addiction? A mind full of gambling thoughts has no time for healthy pursuits, so think of something you would like to do, that your addiction has prevented you from doing and do it. If you imagine your head is full of water representing your addiction you can see that some of that water has to be tipped out to make room for a healthy recovery.
      I wouldn’t be writing here if I didn’t know that the addiction to gamble can be controlled. Admitting your addiction is a step in the right direction – have you talked to your family about it?
      Please post again – you are among those who understand and will support you for as long as you want them to. Knowledge of your addiction will help you cope. You have made a big step by seeking support on this site and I hope you will use the groups, helpline and forum to your advantage.
      Velvet

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.