Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Joshb2929
      Participant

Hi all my name is josh and I am am addicted sports bettor and need some help. I have lost hundreds of thousands of hard earned money from my career as a commodities trader and sports betting has consumed my life. It all started in 2012 when I got my first large bonus and sent to Vegas. I unfortunately won money to start and since then it has been a tailspin. I have taken out loans, took an equity line on my house and really put myself in a hole. I have a supportive wife and a son on the way and I just need to quit but feel powerless. I didn’t want to make this story too long so that people could read and reply but if anyone has been involved in online sports betting or bookie sports betting, to the point where you can’t watch sports without having money on games please send some tips advice or help. I am desperate and in need of someone who has gone through what I’m going through. Gambling is basically the only thing that makes me happy and I have no idea how to change that and I am scared. Thanks to anyone who responds!!!

Dunc
      Keymaster

<

Hello and thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy forums

Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!

Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.

And on that note….

I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our
      privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

marko1231
      Participant

Its going to be difficult for you being a broker
      you need to distance your self from gambling
      There are practical steps like closing and excluding your
      Self turn over finances to your wife or a trusted friend
      No an easy thing to do but IMO. A vital part of your recovery Money is poison to a CG only carry what you need for your day to day living expenses. and never carry a credit card
      good luck with your recovery you have a lot to live for
      A family a good job home etc. it really isn’t worth losing every thing for I should know I have lost everything
      You would be amazed at how quickly you can recover
      From this evil illness but don’t leave it to late as I did.

One last peace of advice.
      Never take your eye of the ball
      This happens to most of us CG’sin recovery we think because we haven’t gambled for a while we could place a small bet wager no harm. WRONG I stopped for over twenty years
      A few small bets and with in two years the disease. destroyed me

monique
      Participant

Welcome again, Josh.
      You have had some good ideas in the post before from Marko. You also mention that you have a supportive wife. I wonder what she knows and understands about your gambling? It could be that she would benefit from support and information, too, as a family member – as you can see at the top of the page, there is also a Forum for F&F (Friends and Family of compulsive gamblers) and Support Groups for them. Gambling can be very destructive for the family as well as the individual; partners can be overwhelmed at times, but they can also be very helpful in the recovery of the cg, with the right information and support.
      You say that gambling is the only thing that makes you happy – I would like you to think about that statement. Is it still true? Or did you get a buzz from gambling at one time, but now it seems to be ‘controlling’ you? And maybe you long for it, but also hate it? What made you happy before gambling came into your life? Are there good things you can try to get back to, as you aim to move away from gambling? What would you like your life to be like as you move into the next few months, years? – your own life and your family life?
      A lot of questions, I know, but they come to mind, as I read your post and maybe they can help focus your thinking a little.
      I wonder if you have spoken to anyone on the Live Advice Line here? Or got to any of the groups? (see above under Support Groups for the times.) Also, do share more on this forum and read the experiences of others. If you truly wish to get free, you will find that it helps if others know more about your experiences, so comments can be more focussed; and the stories of others will inform and guide you, too.
      Best wishes,
      Monique

williame
      Participant

I’ve been where you are at the highest levels of gambling. I lost during my gambling addiction probably well over $1 million dollars (basically whatever I earned during my @ 30 year addiction). I’ll point out what I have learned while going to intense gambling therapy for 2 years and staying clean. First off, if you genuinely don’t want to gamble anymore, you will need to be able to find another career like I had to. Commodities trading is a form of gambling in itself, and you were quite successful at it. I was a professional poker player, and very successful at it as well. There the problem we both have lies, since like myself, you are now wired in your brain to need this “rush” of dopamine to feel satisfied/content in life. You got it while trading commodities, I got it winning almost $1 million playing poker. The problem lies in your case that you found an alternative that gives you even a bigger rush in betting sports, and I found mine betting on sports/horses you name it. Basically what happened to me is I was a problem gambler since I was 16 years old, and get real heavy into betting on sports thru illegal bookies at a young ageof @ 21 (was betting $2000 per game which was the max action he would take, and lost $16,000 one week and couldnt pay). Then in 2004 I discovered online poker, won a seat to the world series of poker and won $175,000. Thus started my “career” in poker. Now, I did make great money at it. But it was also pointless, since all it did was give me the ability to place much larger bets on sports and horses and simply lose everything I made playing poker. So, the real major struggle for me was acknowledging/accepting that I would have to give up poker if I was ever going to recover from my gambling addiction. It was very difficult I’m not going to lie, but when I got to the point of losing everything I had made and having to come clean with my wife with 2 babies to provide for at the time, I just didnt want that feeling of despair/worthlessness/shame and being out of control with this disease anymore. So I made the decision myself and went straight into counseling and received treatment from an excellent gambling counselor and learned alot about myself. See, I always thought is was about the money. But in reality, it was all about the escapement from my trauma as a child inflicted on my my my mother as well as other painful memories. Once I worked thru that which took many sessions to finally see clearly and say out loud that I genuinely forgive you mom for what you did to me as a kid, a huge weight was lifted. Now, I obviously dont know your story, but I will say with confidence that the main reason you got into commodity trading/sports betting is due to a form of escapement from something that pains you from your past. I didnt see it myself when I was in my addiction, but if you do seek counseling and allow yourself to dive deep into your past and allow yourself to finally be honest with yourself (a huge step which takes time), you may be surprised at what you find is fueling this behavior/addiction. One last note, if you truly want to find recovery, be prepared to make a complete lifestyle change including type of work/friendships you are involved in. Unfortunately, there will always be that part of your brain that craves the rush that we have both experienced for the rest of our lives, but learning to recognize these as urges and finding healthy alternatives to replace them will allow you the peace you are seeking. Hope this helps, and dont feel alone as others like myself have felt the pain you are feeling today. There is a way to relieve yourself from it if you are genuinely ready to accept it, and do what it takes to achieve it.

p
      Participant

Well done on coming for help.. its the first step. It shows you want to improve your life. Distancing yourself from gambling can be difficult but not impossible. Change of career would be the wise choice, being constantly around gambling will be detrimental to you in the long run. Daily temptation that if yo uwant to stop you really dont need. It might sound crazy, change career, but really this addiction is serious. Its worth getting out now.
      Have you thought of going to gamblers anonymous. These groups are all people with a gambling problem so everyone understands and can be great support.
      Keep posting here, there is also counselling, groups here to join in chat, one on one line.
      If you are serious about stopping, recovery has to kind of become the priority. Whatever you put above recovery is up to be lost. The disease of compulsive gambling is progressive, so where you are at now, if you continue, it gets worse… it doesnt matter if there is time gamble free, when you return to it you are just as entrenched in it then a little bit more..
      Good on you for coming for help.. throw everything you can at this addiction, its a very sneaky thing. Keep posting, keep reading, reach out for all the help you can while you are wanting recovery.

P

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.