Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      gg27
      Participant

I met my partner 8 months ago…. things were fantastic! he lived round the corner from me had a great time…. He moved back home about 30 miles away from me and things started to change… I was totally oblivious now I look back and can see it all. So it has been going on for past 3-4 months I have lost alot!
      started when he put on saturday football bets, only for like £2 the as it went on he won a few more times it went up and up more and more, he go on his own and not come back for 30mins to an hour then stroll in with a wallet full of cash showing off! as soon as he had it though it would go – back to the bookies or shops to buy food or gifts for me!
      I noticed more about a month ago, christmas time spending time together and hed been in that day won and it was 10pm at night he got in the car and said lets go out its a suprise! we spent ages in a bookies and left with alot less than he went in with, even asked me to go in with him i said no of course.
      beginning the the month we moved out, well more like he moved me out! I was so angry didnt know where anything was, moved in and wow he was so moody with me for no reason, a week later I find small amounts of money have gone missing then it was my rings i contacted his mother and she said be careful as he has done this to her and so many people before but always left them, he hasnt left me and says he loves me and wants support me to look after his finaces he starts a new job today and I am in control on his money, even got him to date and sign a copy of his card!
      I know this is the beginnig I keep getting upset and would just like some advice on how to deal with it please
      I look forward to hearing from someone 🙂
       everyone deserves one chance…. or your out!

Anonymous

Hi Gg27,
       Thank you for posting on the Gambling Therapy forum.  As you are a GB resident you are entitled to free online support through the Gamcare website at http://www.gamcare.org.uk

Can I suggest that you now copy and paste your post into one of the Gamcare forums where you will receive responses from others in a similar situation to you from all over the GB.

We wish you well in your recovery.
      The Gambling Therapy Team

paul315
      Participant

Originally posted by gg27… everyone deserves one chance..
      Good morning GG,  my name is Larry and I am a compulsive gambler, my last bet was October 17 (my screen name is paul315). Thanks for sharing your story with us here, we in recovery need to be reminded at ***** about the problems that gambling brings without us having to go out to test the waters ourselves. Hearing from those that are adversely affected by the actions of other compulsive gamblers helps keep us from tempting a return to that life.
      In your looking forward to hearing from someone and your asking for some advice,  advice as to what and how you should deal with your CG and proceed with your own life. The best advice I can think of is that for you to take care of yourself. Follow the suggestion of the other Paul and look into the help that you can receive from Gamcare and the GB members there. You might also be able to continue to read the post of other affected family members in the Friends and Family Forum here without logging on to add to the advice and support you can receive form a service that you can interact with; there sharing, stories, and advice given to others can be a great help to many.
      As a compulsive gambler myself I truly believe that everyone deserves a chance, maybe more, but I also have come to realise and believe that that chance in one that I give and take for myself. It is helpful for our friends and family to give us a chance to make amends and continue to be part of their lives, but we are the ones that have to make the more important efforts. As someone harmed by a CG and are now living with his efforts to recovery, it is important for your to take steps to protect yourself and your property; we as CGs have good intentions and make promises, but some***** the addiction takes over and we find ourselves going bake to taking from others to support the addiction. It does not necessary happen, and it does not have to happen, but some of the best help that our loved ones can give us other than their love and support to help us during such ***** is to remove any temptations and access to funds, and to the easy ways to obtain them through ********, eliminating the ways the might enable us to gamble at ***** when our guard may be down..
      You might also look into finding some professional couples counselling and encourage him to seek counselling for his addiction through services such as Gamcare or Gamblers Anonymous. Do all you can to help your partner, to keep your relationship strong, but most important, to protect yourself and to be able to live a happy life.
      God’s speed, use your Higher Power to guide and strengthen you.LarryThanks to my Higher Power, My 3G's – God, GA, and GT,  "Day Two Is Another Day Behind" and with the help from all I hope to continue to remain gambling free.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.