Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    charles

We have just been talking about the GA steps and  accepting a "Higher Power" in the group this evening.  GA isn’t religious and I was reminded of a post I’ve seen here in the past.  Anyway i promised to find an agnostic version of the steps and here it is…
    1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol- that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe and to accept that we needed strengths beyond our awareness and resources to restore us to sanity.

(Original: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.)

3. Made a decision to entrust our will and our lives to the care of the collective wisdom and resources of those who have searched before us.

(Original: Made a decision to turn our wills and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.)

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to ourselves without reservation and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

(Original: Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.)

6. Were ready to accept help in letting go of all our defects of character.

(Original: Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.)

7. With humility and openness sought to eliminate our shortcomings.

(Original: Humbly asked him to remove our shortcomings.)

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through meditation to improve our spiritual awareness, make recovery a priority and to discover the power to carry out that way of life.

(Original: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.)

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

GA isn’t religious and we CAN recover with or without any religious belief.

charles

Bump.

charles

Bump again

kin
    Participant

Hi Charles,

In agnostic 12 steps, Is GOD = GOOD ORDERLY DIRECTION.

kin
    Participant

Hi Charles

I check with some friends practicing 12 steps longer than me, I was told God stands for a Higher Power greater than me.

charles

For me personally the GA rooms are my higher power. I couldn’t stop gambling on my own, i can with GA – by definition that, for me, makes GA a “power greater than myself”.

We can all find our own higher power. Maybe one of the reasons that is important is that we allowed gambling/addiction to be our higher power and control our lives for a long time.

charles

Bump

vera
    Participant

GA may be the HighER Power for many.
    Personally, I do not need a Higher Power to keep me from gambling.
    I need the HighEST Power
    I know Him
    And He knows me.

kin
    Participant

Thank you for sharing

charles

bump

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.