Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      makingchange
      Participant

My second stint at trying to quit. This time last year I managed to go 17 days without hitting the slots. 1 year later of full time playing and I’m attempting to break the habit again. I’m 18 days in so longer then I did last time so holding onto that win. The first 7 days were hard but also easy. I’d get the urge and then an hour later I’d be cheering myself on for not breaking and be fine. The next 7 days were easy too as I took my two young kids away on holidays and there was no where to play. But the last 3 days, wow it’s been hard. Either everyone around me has decided to be really annoying all the time or I’m going through some kind of withdrawal. I struggle to fall asleep at night time and running on a short fuse. And the urges don’t seem to be going away and giving me that “yes you did it today”, I just am annoyed all the time. I started smoking again (funnily enough I vaped when I played not smoked) which isn’t good but but hey cost me thousands less each day. I managed to play nearly every day for the last 5 years only really taking time off when my kids were born and though not in debt nor struggling I’ve lost hundreds of thousands. I haven’t lost time with them because I was betting max and losing fast. 30 min and I could lost thousands. My kids will never go without, but they have the option to be very comfortable for their lives and I was just throwing that away. If I stop now i can get back to that, it’s just stopping is so hard. Does it ever get any easier or am I at least over the hard part and when does everything stop annoying you?

Dunc
      Keymaster

Hello and thanks for starting a thread
      in the Gambling Therapy forums
      Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!
      Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.
      As well as the forums New Members are invited to join Charles in the New Members Practical Advice Group On Mondays at 21:00 (UK) and Thursday at 19:00(UK)
      And on that note….
      I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂
      Take care
      The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

jaymay22
      Participant

Hello! It might sound like a silly idea but if you are still holding onto good amount of profit, then try to share some of that with some one who is in need of money ( may be a stranger you know for sure is struggling or some charity). you might feel less annoyed by doing this because you will be making some difference in some one’s life or making some one’s day better. you sound like a millionaire, so even if you are not in profit, you could still help others if you aren’t already doing it. Just throwing some ideas for you to feel less annoyed or even happy 🙂

makingchange
      Participant

I am far from a millionaire, apologies if I came across that way. I’ve never been in profit from it either when the week finishes up. Smart investments before I took it up 7 years ago left us with a comfortable buffer. I gambled all of that away with 0 in my savings account and we live very basically as a result. If I stop and give it up those investments can get a chance to build back up again then in a few years I can be back on track.

18 days ago I heard a man on the bus telling his mate his 7 months slots free. He was in his late 60s. He was talking about the decades of playing he had done and never saw it an issue as he never had debt. Going into retirement now and he has to go on the pension as he has no savings. Is that going to be me? It was like a light bulb moment. Yeah I’m lucky I’ve never borrowed or been not able to pay my bills, but I having nothing show for the last 15 years? And it’s only a matter of time before it tips to the other side and I fall in debt from playing.

makingchange
      Participant

Week 3, 21 days. I found myself at one of the hardest windows, a time I always used to play and kept walking past. I’m not filled with pride for not stopping, I’m annoyed. Annoyed I have to go through all of this because I was an idiot for so long. And I stay feeling this way for the rest of the day. At least the urge or want to slide that first 50 in isn’t there but I’m over feeling like shit. Hopefully as my finances begin to start growing again I will be happy again

makingchange
      Participant

24 days. By far the longest time I’ve given up and finally starting to feel happy about it. I was reading others journals and one guy mentioned he uses a site to watch others play and it helps him as he sees others losing and it reminds him of the reality. So I went there and it must have been on a wining night. Everyone was winning and winning big. So I looked into online slots. Thought to myself, I’ll just play the free money they give you at the beginning and if it doesn’t amount to anything then just shut it down (yeah right like that would have happened). Luckily enough I found out online gambling is banned in my country and read some people having issues cashing out unless they run it through something called a VPN. I’ve never been happier to be computer illiterate. Have no idea how to open that door and thank goodness. Still watching the site though as I’m waiting to see these losses as let’s face it, you never win. It also has started making me feel a little calmer as I see the spins and can tune out. I am wondering if it’s a bad thing to do. Is the addiction linked to watching the machines or the hope of winning the jackpot. Either way I have no access to finances so can’t head to the club even if I wanted to. Happy I set up those barriers. I have my first pay coming in too since quitting. Looking forward to watching my bank account grow again

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.