Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle123
      Participant

So yesterday I found out my partner has been suspended from work enquiring investigations. My partner confessed all telling me he had been stealing from work to gamble. He has always dabbled in gambling or gone to the races etc but just before Christmas apparently his gambling got worse. I really don’t know what’s goin to happen now, he’s obviously going to lose his job but I’m praying they don’t get the police involved as this will ruin him. He will have a criminal record and it would be very doubtful he would get a job again and I’m very worried. We have deleted everything and banned him from all betting shops etc and I now have full control over his finances but I’m worried sick about our future.

He is genuinely gutted, I’ve never seen him cry before but he was shaking and breaking down its was horrible. I know he is deeply sorry and I will support him as much as I can but I really am s**ting myself about the police situation! Any advice is hugely appreciated x

velvet

<

Hello Michelle

Thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy friends and family forum. This forum will provide you with warmth and understanding from your peers.

Feel free to use the friends and family group, you’ll find the times for these if you click on the “Group times” box on our Home page. Now that you have introduced yourself you’ll find that many of the people you meet here have already read your initial introduction and they’ll welcome you in like an old friend 🙂

If you’re the friend or family member of someone who is either in, or has been through, the GMA residential programme please take extra care to make sure that nothing you say in groups, or on our forums, inadvertently identifies that person. Even if your loved one isn’t connected with GMA, please don’t identify them either directly or indirectly just in case they decide to use the site themselves.

You’ll find a lot of advice on this site, some of which you’ll follow, some you won’t…but that’s ok because only you fully understand your
      situation and what’s best for you and the people you love. So, take the support you need and leave the advice you don’t because it all comes from a caring, nurturing place 🙂

We look forward to hearing all about you!

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our
      privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

White Tara
      Participant

Oh Michelle, that must’ve been a massive shock for you!! you must be going out of your mind with worry and feeling sick !!! It’s possible the firm may not involve the police. Some do some don’t. I guess it depends what type of firm it is, but you sound pretty certain that your partner will lose their job. I’m new to these forums too by the way. Was your partner experiencing extra stress from elsewhere at the time? Are you seeking legal advice just in case? Are you taking other practical steps to keep yourselves grounded in this maelstrom. You may want to consider attending a local GA meeting as soon as possible. This way, at least, if the firm does decide to prosecute, then they and the courts will see your partner has taken a positive step to support his withdrawal from gambling and you are supporting him to by attending the family meeting groups. Both groups usually meet on the same night but in different rooms. I don’t know what else to say at this moment but I’m sure other people on the site may have a better response. Namaste.

blossompaddok
      Participant

Hey! I was facing the same situation a year ago. My husband was a successful businessman and we were very happy together. He had a lot of friends and used to hang out with them after his works. Eventually, we became financially down and I thought it was due to some issues in business. But my brother told me the bitter truth that he spotted my husband in a club gambling. I was not having any idea about how to tackle this situation. My brother supported me and he arranged an appointment for a gambling and drug addiction program in Calgary( http://www.canadadrugrehab.ca/Gambling-Addiction-Treatment.html ). Now he is completely recovered and we are leading a happy life. I think your husband also has to be treated asap before the situation gets worse.

lily
      Participant

Hi Michelle, I noticed you haven’t been back and posted and update and wondered how things are going? I can only imagine how stressful things must be for you and I hope you are getting support for you.

As awful as the situation is it could prove to be a catalyst for your partner to get the help he needs, for many it takes hitting rock bottom to shock them into admitting and starting to deal with their problem.

Has any more action been taken? Is your partner taking any steps towards getting treatment?

Please do keep posting, there is always some here willing to support you. lily x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.