Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      peacegirl
      Participant

So, I am wondering if anyone has tried EMDR for therapy. If you don’t know what it is- you can look it up, but I will explain a little. It’s rapid eye movement therapy and it has been know to help Post Tramatic Stress syndrome and other addictions! I went to a therapist once for this and didn’t get too far but discontinue because the distance to get to her was far (and I thought I was okay- of course I wasn’t). Anyway, I am going to be starting it again! The last therapist said you will even get to a state where you have no urges at all and can gamble normally HAHA, I told her I want to get to a state where I never gamble period! It might be worth a try for anyone who is desperate to break this cycle. Of course the therapist will do regular therapy talks too.. Will update and let me know if anyone has done this, and if it’s sucessful ect…

janey1
      Participant

Hi Peacegirl

I’ve asked around and the answer is a resounding, “We’re not sure”. It is supposed to be good for repeated patterns of behaviour but that is all I know. I guess if you liked what you saw the first time round you could certainly give it another try but I would be extremely cautious of any recommendation that you could make a sustained return to controlled gambling. That’s a risk that’s not worth taking in my opinion.
      We’d be interested to learn how it all goes for you if you do decide to proceed with this form of treatment so keep us in the loop if you’re comfortable in doing so 🙂
      Take care
      Janey

peacegirl
      Participant

You are right Janey, I am not wanting to even think about returning to gambling on a lesser level.. I’m not sure I believe in this EMDR but I am going to give it a try for a little, even though the sessions are pricey. I will keep you posted on if I feel it is doing anything at all.. Thanks for responding and have a good day:)

monique
      Participant

Hi Peacegirl. I would also be very interested to hear more about your experiences with EMDR, if you feel ok about sharing them. I do not know much about it, but have heard reports of considerable success in the area of Post Traumatic Stress. Maintaining recovery long term when you have an addiction is still, I believe, going to be a personal, day-by-day journey, requiring all the other kinds of support we discuss on this site.
      I wish you well and, as I said above, am interested in what you learn and find out.

Monique

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.