Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sybil
    Participant
    dadda
    Participant

I saw this man speaking on a TED talk and makes perfect sense. I read some rebuttals of his ideas; while I can say there is (likely) something to some of it, I do know that much of what passes for “science” is not, even if it is funded and “peer-reviewed”. The point being made that people with “full lives/careers/etc” can be or become addicts.

I think there is something to the point that congruence (between inner values, goals and drives) and outer manifestations of “success” or “connectedness” are important considerations.

Much of what people “know” about life and picture as “success” (happiness being equated with same) is NOT knowledge acquired through real learning and exploration, it’s merely the exposures and expectations we’ve had.

Having myself gone into therapy and even puzzled, because to all appearances, things in (my) life were “great” … but there was “something” and I really started to notice it when the doctor prescribed medicine that made me feel “happy”. But of course, that type of “happy” is not real or lasting and does not lead to the genuine type.

monique
    Participant

Hi Dadda and/or Sybil (I am not sure who posted this.) Yes, this is a very interesting piece of work and writing. The social aspect (connection) of addiction is extremely important.

Monique

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.