Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    wally2021
    Participant

Hey G Rec,
    Nice job on 17 days!!! WOW, thats great congratulations!!! Keep it going!!!

G Rec
    Participant

Thanks wally

Days Since Last Betting: 19

Last night I attended a general meeting with various discussions and suggestions for tools that can be used to help recovery. The one that resonated the most with me was a simple tool called the Hula Hoop which has many similarities with the serenity prayer/affirmation ” “I seek the serenity to accept what I cannot change; the courage to change what I can, and the wisdom to know the difference”. (I used a modified version that is not religious focused as I am not religious)

The idea behind the hula hoop is to identify items that are within your Hula Hoop that you have the power to control/change, and those that fall outside your Hula Hoop that you cannot control/change.

Things that fall within your Hula Hoop are – Your thoughts, your actions, your opinions, your values, your dreams, your wishes. while those falling outside of the Hula Hoop is everything else “other peple’ thoughts, other peoples reactions, external events, the weather etc etc etc.

G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 20

Yesterday, I attended the topic group on here. The topic this week was Can a compulsive gambler ever become a controlled gambler. We had a great discussion and not surprisingly the general consensus coming out from the meeting was that they can’t. This conclusion was mostly from the fact that none of us knew of anyone who had successfully done so in the past , but knew of plenty who had tried but not been successful, ourselves included.

Another element that came out from the meeting was that even though we have concluded that you can not become a controlled gamble when you are a compulsive gambler, that does not stop the addiction trying to use this excuse to get you back gambling, with dangerous thoughts such as “What if I just have the one bet? or “what if I set myself a specific budget for gambling”

G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 21

I had planned to attend my 4th SMART intro meeting today, but it doesn’t look like the meeting is going ahead. Instead, I will still spend the time on GT-related items catching up on the forum, and exploring some tools myself.

G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 24

The weekend has gone well so far, went for a long walk yesterday while also enjoying some time to relax, doing a few hours work today and then will take tomorrow as a day off, and close off the weekend with a meeting Sunday evening/night

G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 26

I attended a meeting last night with some useful tools discussed. The first was to do with managing urges, and what to do when they occur. As is often the case, there was overlap with similar discussions in the topic groups on here. An acronym was used to describe some of the options available to try and limit the urge.

This week is also pay week, and I instantly transferred/paid everything according to my budget while making any remaining funds accountable by putting them into a shared account with full visibility.

G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 28

I attended the topic group on here on Monday and had a constructive discussion. The topic was on limiting the likelihood of betting through ATM

• Access – Limit access/ability to bet through means such as permanently closing accounts, using blocking software, getting self-excluded from live bettng venus etc
    • Time – Manage the time that you have to keep idle time when you might be tempted to bet to a minimum. This can be helped through things like planning days off from work, making sure you are accountable for your time, and finding replacement activities for the time that used to be spent gambling.
    • Money – Reduce direct access to money where possible, and where you do have access to money, ensure that it is accountable i.e. if you use it for gambling, someone else would automatically be aware
    G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 30

Another weekend has rolled around. Looking forward to it. Planning to do some exercise, play some Chess, catch up on sleep and housework, and enjoy some relaxation time. On Sunday night, I plan to conclude the weekend with a meeting.

G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 36

My routine this week has been a bit off from usual with multiple days off between holidays and leave. I have kept myself busy in the off days however planning some tasks ahead of time.

On Sunday, I attended a SMART meeting. The main tool focused on was HALT the BADS. This basically involves being more aware of your feelings, and when you get an urge, trying to identify if you are feeling any of these. Once you have identified the emotions(s), you can then look at alternative ways to address these rather than turning to gambling.

• Hunger
    • Anger
    • Lonely
    • Tired
    • Boredom
    • Anxiety
    • Depression
    • Stress
    kin
    Participant

Hi G Rec,

Beside HALT, BADS, I will also include RID, being restless, irritable and discontent is a recipe for disaster.

kin
    Participant

Emotional sobriety is not as simple or as easy as staying gamble free. Emotional sobriety is being able to deal with strong feelings or emotions without resorting to gambling.

People who are gamble free but not emotionally sober are often referred to as “dry drunks.” Dry drunks may not be gambling, but there is the presence of actions and attitudes that characterized the compulsive gambler. A “dry drunk” is someone who is gamble free but is struggling with the emotional issues that led them to gambling in the first place.

Dry drunk syndrome is part of the phenomenon known as post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS). When a compulsive gambler stops gambling, his brain must adjust to the chemical changes that compulsive gambling has caused. This process can last for weeks, months, sometimes even years.

G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 38

Thanks for the added synonym and information kin – Restless, Irritable and discontent are good emotions/feelings to also look out for, emotional sobriety is not something I had heard referred to before but is very interesting, and makes sense that it would be a big part of recovery.

G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 40

Had a nice weekend. In the coming week, I am planning to attend a topic group on here, a SMART intro meeting on Wednesday, and a SMART general meeting

G Rec
    Participant

Days Since Last Betting: 43

The week has been going fairly well so far. Happy with general exercise, work-life balance, and staying gamble-free and now looking forward to the weekend. I haven’t been attending as many meetings/discussions as recent weeks but planning to attend at least one meeting over the weekend and then back on for a topic group here on Monday.

congrats on your 43rd day. you are doing really well keep it up.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.