Get practical support with your gambling problem Forum GMA residential treatment, Q & A Beckenham House – what should I expect ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stuart-J-B
    Participant

I have recently been added to the waiting list and will probably go to the Beckenham house as I’m from the West Midlands and too close to Dudley.
    Could anyone share any advice on what to expect, what to take, what to prepare for, are you allowed to go out, contact family members etc.
    Any advice would be appreciated as I’m quite nervous but the time can’t come soon enough as I have battled gambling addiction my entire adult life and now in my 40’s.

Dunc
    Keymaster

Hello and thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy forums

Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!

Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.

As well as the forums New Members are invited to join Charles in the New Members Practical Advice Group On Mondays at 21:00 (UK) and Thursday at 19:00(UK)

And on that note….

I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

DL0708
    Participant

Hi Stuart
    I left Beckenham in May this year. I am more than happy to help you with respect in what to expect.
    I will do a proper reply tomorrow as using my phone at min and will be easier from laptop

charles

Hi Stuart,

I didn’t go to GMA myself so can’t answer your questions, hopefully DL0708 will.

My own advice though would be to contact GMA regarding the practicalities, what to take etc, and ask them. You can get contact details here…..

https://www.gordonmoody.org.uk/

With regards the rest of i, the best thing to do is probably just to go with an open mind and soak up all the support and tools they give you. Sometimes going with too many expectations/pre – conceptions isn’t a good thing – just go with that open mind and absorb the support that will help you move forward in recovery.

In the meantime you might also want to conect to the groups here and start getting support in the My Journal Forum as well.

TrisT
    Participant

First things first you’ve made the best decision to make use of GMA’s support and if you work WITH them, you’ll stand the best chance of success.

I’ve taken note of your queries and will answer more fully over the next few days.

Kind regards,
    Tristan – (ex resident).

RichyGriff66
    Participant

Hey guys im in the same situatuon im going to beckenham on Monday can anyone give me more info like the gent asked above

RichyGriff66
    Participant

Hey guys im in the same situatuon im going to beckenham on Monday can anyone give me more info like the gent asked above

TrisT
    Participant

Hi OP again,
    It would be best to contact GMA to confirm things like contact with family, mobile phones etc as there are rules and for good reason. Iirc contact with family is brief at the beginning then get stuck into the treatment.I seem to remember 8 weeks into the treatment at that point you can have your moby back for a few hours at end of week.

Yes you can go out but again there are rules which should be abided by for your own good.
    For example, to go out in company of a couple other residents and to be in by 5pm no later.

I would recommend taking just enough clothing and a bit more as spare for gym, Saturday activity etc and to keep up on washing as there’s only one washer and dryer.

For me taking a stereo with just enough music was important.

Remember to take time out in your bedroom if wanting/needing as this is key to finding one self in the moment to express in their diary/journal book which I’ll admit never really started.

There will be of course ups and downs as can be expected so just roll with it. Learning a lot about yourself will be the real investment into GMA and GMA to resident.

Oh and try to just relax into the initial 2 week assessment before treatment begins as it as it’s not a race but a journey.

RichyGriff66
    Participant

Hi TrisT as per the other post thanks so much and i will update when out

matcol
    Participant

my friend i am from Malta.I will start my rehab at Beckenham in 15 days…I have a lot of questions to ask..can you pls help me?c.Thanks my friend

matcol
    Participant

hello my friend i AM from Malta and will start my rehab very soon.I have so many questions to ask…can you help me pls?can u i sent you personal email of maybe chat on facebook to ask some questions?thanks my email is mattweah@hotmail.com

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.