Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fonthill
    Participant

I am a 40 year old male with 3 kids.
    I started gambling in my teens with sport betting lottery which is legal where I am

Once the internet came about and online gambling it took a turn for the worst.
    I think when you start to win in the beginning it’s much harder to stop vs losing a lot in the beginning as you know you are not good and just simply stop.

I did sports betting casually but it was when I started online black jack that made it worst. I won so much in such a short period of time but lost it all back even quicker and even more. The fact that I won so much early on made a mindset that I can do it again. And I did multiple times but ended up losing it back eventually.

I realize gambling is not for me when you are chasing not even loses but chasing back how much you previously won. It’s a money management issues but a little beyond that. When you are chasing until you hit your daily limits that’s a problem..

For the longest time I would self exclude all my accounts accept for one that would at least give me a chance to win some back when I have a chance but that didn’t work. I used freedom blocker which works on all my devices except for google chrome on my iPhone which I am figuring out right now.
    But I finally suspended my last account out of about 10 for at least 6 months.
    Thankfully I didn’t hit rock bottom yet but know if I don’t take a stand now that I will.
    The sad part is you cannot stop when you are winning but can stop when your losing..
    Also when you are using you money that you need to pay bills. This is when you know you don’t have control. I think if I can take a break for at least 2-3 months I won’t have any urges.
    I also need to keep myself busy..

I believe posting on this forum and letting it all out really helps.

Thanks for sharing

dunc
    Participant

Hello and thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy forums

Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!

Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.

As well as the forums New Members are invited to join Charles in the New Members Practical Advice Group On Mondays at 21:00 (UK) and Thursday at 19:00(UK)

And on that note….

I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

Meghna83
    Participant

Hi thank you so much for sharing your story. What you said about losing making you want stop eventually really made sense to me. The same happened for me. I lost 20k within 20-30 mins and that hurt me so much.

Like you, I haven’t hit rock bottom, but know that I am capable of getting myself and my family there. I say my family because that’s exactly it. My actions, namely gambling, will adversely impact them. If I gamble they will suffer the consequences and that is not fair. That is not right. My gambling was selfish, greedy and it was my need for instant gratification that led me to those great losses. 

I sometimes wish I could rewind time to the very first bet I made and undo that. I don’t care about the money I ‘ won’ . That was never mine and actually wouldn’t have changed anything in my life. I was comfortable enough. That money didn’t make me any happier and the gambling and loss of my honest earnings led to my sadness.

Thanks for sharing your experience and Well Done for stopping before it got worse.

Always remember your mums words. What a supportive and loving mother you have. I hope her love, care and good advice stay with you for life

Keep away from the misery that is gambling.

Well done and keep positive and strong 

StayStrong
    Participant

Hi Fonthill,

Thank you for sharing. I am new to the site and have been struggling with trying to break this gambling addiction for the last several months. I have been gambling for just over a year now and I can’t believe the hold it has got on me just in this short period. I didn’t realize how strong it was until a couple of weeks ago when I tried to make an honest stop at it and have been struggling. I know the negative consequences that gambling has had on my family and I want to stop, but I just can’t shake these thoughts.

I too like you started with sports betting and it has progressed to online blackjack. I only used to do sports betting and was making money off of it until one bad day with some bad breaks and I found myself in a whole that i didn’t think i could pull myself out of with sports bets. So I turned to blackjack to win back what i lost and i did. Over the next couple of months after that I started playing blackjack to cover any sports bets that i lost. If i placed a sports bet and then lost, I would go right to blackjack to win back the lost bet. And it worked for a while until I hit a bad stretch and spiralled in blackjack. These spirals would cost me almost all my winnings. Long story short the last couple of months I’ve “fought hard” to win back almost all that I had lost about until last week when I lost a large percentage again of my positive bankroll. The worst part is that this happened at a family gathering and everyone saw my spiral. I felt so ashamed and vowed that I would stop. However in the last couple of days I have been dealing with some serious demons to continue to resist the urge and I just don’t know what to do. I don’t feel happy and I want to go back to the days of just placing some sports bet for entertainment without blackjack in my life. No one seems to think this is possible or a good idea to try and that the sports bets will just lead me back as a gateway to the online blackjack tables. Any advice or help would be appreciated

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.