Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      cat438
      Participant

A new month – I wondered if I should do this again – a monthly  pledge.  I know that I was dreading February because it was a bad month for me last year.  Dear Velvet in her wisdom posted to me that it is the shortest month!!!  I am noticing how we can set ourselves up for failure – because Feberuary was bad last year (I gambled about 7 days).  I am saying to myself before the month even starts – February was a bad month last year – and therefore I will probably gamble – meaning I am telling myself that I will gamble.  I am not thinking that way now as every day is just another day!!!  It is one day at a time!!!   What is different in my life just now:    1.  I am counting my blessings  2.  I know that I can’t control things so my thoughts are "Let Go Let God"  3. I am looking at the positive things that I have in my life 4.  I am working on setting barriers 5.  I am going to go back and see my counsellor as I have not seen her since December.  Although I am starting this new page for February – I know that I am looking at it differently from last year – it is not about getting through the month – it is about getting through today – one day at a time – it is not about beating my most gamble free time – it’s about a gamble free life – wishing everyone a wonderful gamble free day!!!!  You know it is Valentine’s Day month – the month of LOVE – maybe we should all focus on love this month – and how about loving ourselves first!!!
       One day at a time my sweet lord…

paul315
      Participant

Originally posted by cat438

A new month …
      One day at a time my sweet lord…
      Good morning Cat,
      First, thanks for your kind words in your post to the Our Daily Pledge topic, words of encouragements are important to all. Your encouraging others to think about a monthly pledge (or pact Vera), in this "February" topic is also important and just as helpful, and I full-heartedly — a subtle reference to Valentine’s Day — follow you in making this additional pledge. Today I pledge to do all I can do in making February another gambling free month. 
      It may seem contrary to the  ODAAT philosophy, but making a pledge to ensure the future can also be important; when we are planing for a trip or an event in the future, the goal that ***s ahead must be considered and kept in mind during the individual days of our everyday lives that lead up to that event.
      The past may contain bad memories and fester fears of reliving them because of the time frame associated with the mere name of a particular month, but as you pointed out February 2013 is a new month, and you are a renewed you. Also, much more important than February having the fewest days (incidentally, this year it has one less than last year’s), it still consist of single days; single ODAAT opportunities to live a more normal way, and single days to have to confront anything that stands in the way of those better ***** and your progress.
      Keep following the steps that you listed and that *** ahead of you, and continue to keep in mind that "it is not about getting through the month – it is about getting through today – one day at a time – it is not about beating my most gamble free time – it’s about a gamble free life".
      God’s speed. Stay strong. Keep aware.LarryThanks to my Higher Power, My 3G's – God, GA, and GT,  "Day Two Is Another Day Behind" and with the help from all I hope to continue to remain gambling free.

neva
      Participant

I’m glad you started a Feb thread.  I’m with you all the way.  We’re already 2 gamble-free days into this month and we only have 26 more…ODAAT. 

cat438
      Participant

I am glad that I started one then Neva aka Sherrie if you wanted one.  I did not gamble yesterday and do not plan on gambling today.  All I have to focus on is today!!!!One day at a time my sweet lord…

vera
      Participant

24 days to go
      odaat
       what then  ?
      Im G free so far this month but still licking nasty painful wounds…
      ouch!

paul315
      Participant

Originally posted by vera

24 days to go  …  what then  ?  …

"Then what?", then comes March, April, May, and so on; but more important than these days of a more distant future is tomorrow, Feb 5, a day that will show the good that not gambling today provides for, and one that will reduce February’s days to go to 23.
      ODAAT, they add up, and subtract from any longer term goal.
      Also, it is good to see post from you Vera in the various replies that you make to other’s your encouragement and thoughtfulness is both a help to them and you. Today I join you in an "implied monthly pact" in addition to the pledge here.
      God’s speed, yet still be patient. The days and months will pass soon enough; if we continue to diligently work at being gambling free we will experience continued recovery.LarryThanks to my Higher Power, My 3G's – God, GA, and GT,  "Day Two Is Another Day Behind" and with the help from all I hope to continue to remain gambling free.

neva
      Participant

A post on the monthly thread from Vera is a gift!  We can’t change the past, we can’t control the future but, just for today we can make our own choices.  My choice to today is to not gamble.

cat438
      Participant

I am so glad to see a post from Vera on here even though it is "short and sweet", well maybe not so sweet Dear (((V))) LOL.  I wish I could find the words of wisdom that you give to so many others V.  You said 24 days to go and what then?  I don’t know the answer to that Vera, all I can focus on is today.  I do not plan on gambling today!  I am not thinking about tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.  I said a prayer for you to find your way back V.  I hope you read this as I need you to light a candle and pray for Ruth and her family.  The chemo is not working and there is nothing else they can do.  She is facing a tomorrow much more difficult than any of us here are.  She has to face leaving her babies and she is in pain both physically and emotionally.  I don’t know if this will help you Vera, but we have a choice, God willing, about next month and the one after on whether we gamble.  Ruth does not have a choice!!!! Wishing everyone a gamble free day because the choice is yours to make!!!!One day at a time my sweet lord…

neva
      Participant

Cat, that’s a very good point that we have a choice to gamble…to feel the pain and devastation from gambling that’s so bad we want to die.  Then there is Ruth.  A loving mother, daughter and friend living a wholesome life and dealt the hand of cancer.  Not wanting to die but no choice in the matter.  My prayers are with Ruth today.

cat438
      Participant

Thanks S for your support.  I can’t believe it is already February 9 and I will not gamble today.  We are about a third of the way through the month already.  I am finding keeping myself busy has really been keeping my thoughts away from gambling.  Although there were a few days that my mind was wandering there, but fortunately the thoughts have gone again.  I know now that the thoughts will get me unaware sometimes, but as long as I don’t act on them I will be okay.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day free of gambling!!!One day at a time my sweet lord…

neva
      Participant

Another gamble-free weekend behind us.  I’m lucky in that the work week is easier. My gambling habit was weekends and holidays.  Some people, like Ican, have it easier during the weekends and harder during the work week.  I’m just thankful there are days where the thought of gambling doesn’t even enter my thoughts. May everyone have some days where they can relax and not have to fight the fight so they can plan and prepare for the harder days as they come. Cat, glad the ‘thoughts’ are gone for you right now too. 

cat438
      Participant

Yeah Neva… WTG.  Well, it is a brand new day, a brand new month. I did not gamble in february and do not plan on gambling today!!!!!One day at a time my sweet lord…

icandothis
      Participant

One day of gambling makes for a horrible month…at least for me.  I let February go and March on… 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.