Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris-m
    Participant

Hi does anyone know if a rehab clinic would work or has anyone been to one?
    I am 24 years old and been gambling since I was 17. I am a compulsive gambler and would say I go the bookies near enough every single day. My main problem is the roulette machines. I can’t believe how much they can rob you I lost 8 grand in two days on them an have lost do much more over my time gambling. I am literally fed up of going the same thing over and over and have tried to stop before. I hate what I’ve become and how I act. I have always said I dislike drug addicts and how they act etc. but I am no different. I suppose an addiction is an addiction. I really need help and hopefully will be free of it one day and help other people battling with the same addiction. Thanks

Anonymous

i used to go to the slot machines everyday, i couldn’t sit still at home and just chillax on the internet or watching teli, i would wake up in the morning and head off gambling, if i were to go out of the house say if i tried to stay away from gambling i would end up gambling, telling myself each time that it would be the last time, and when i was done i would promise i wouldnt go back, but end up going back, it has taken me months and months to get to where i am today, at over 12 weeks gambling free. to me i did it here by journaling, i tried counselling and g.a. i didn’t go into rehab. but i would recommend rehab if you can go. you know you are a compulsive gambler, but what that means is that you can not make one single bet, i know i can’t or self i will be self hating, and traumatized all over again. it has been a process, you are going to need help, like the support of staff at the venues to kick you out, you do that by self banning, after you have self banned you have an added incentive to stay away from the venues and the machines. compulsive gambler also means you can not gamble properly, you basically gamble like a madperson, until you have lost everything, and you continue to lose. what i learnt from playing facebook slots is that i am not good at gambling small amounts, and i am no good at winning, all machines are the same they go down down down. and it is because they are designed to give you a payout only to keep you there, reinforcing the behaviour randomly, the random aspect is important because that is proven to be the most powerful and effective method of reinforcement of a behaviour. i am not ready to go back to that nightmare, i don’t think i ever want to reach a point in my life where i reach for gambling to soothe an inner pain, like lonliness and boredom. i have already lost so much money and so much peace of mind to gambling, i am just glad i am banned and i am out of the cycle for the time being, nearly 13 weeks that over 3 months.  for an addict that is a great amount. it took many attempts, and it took me many gambling free days before i would realise that i could get through the day without gambling. wishing you all the best. do your research, practise meditation, go to rehab, counselling, focus on saving money, go to g.a., get support. realise gambling is the cause of problems not the solution.

Dunc
    Keymaster

Hi Chris, A Warm Welcome to Gambling Therapy
    Having found us you have also found a diverse community who can help and support you on your recovery journey.
    Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and non-judgemental environment and by reading others stories am sure you will see that you are very much not alone in this addiction
    Please click here to see our services page, feel free to use all that this site can offer…
    To chat with others in real time you may wish to make use of the support groups, the ***** of these groups are advertised under "What’s on and When" or click here to see the weekly group schedule.
    For one to one chat you may want to try the live advice helpline. Click "connect" when these options become available.
    Also to say when you registered we would have sent you an email with an attachment, this attachment will help you navigate the site and find the support you so rightly deserve, alternatively this guide can be downloaded by clicking here.  
    Take Care
    HarryWatch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

bonkers
    Participant

hi chris.get in touch with gordon ***** in dudley ,its a 14 week rehab, they have one in dudley and beckinham kent.iwas in the one in london,i came back home on the 9 july it was the best thing i ever did, do it now, go on thier web sight.it will be the best thing to do’ all the best bonkersOnwards and upwards

memento
    Participant

Hi chris-m. Like you I’ve always disliked people with any kind of addiction ( even the one with gambling) and couldn’t figure it out how is it possible someone smart and intelegent to be so stupid at the same time.
    But here I am. At the same situation facing the same problem.
    I dont have much experience to share with you as I am quite new to this fight as well but I find writing with other people in the forum very helpfull.So I decided to pop up in your post and to wish you the best of luck in your journey.
    Dont give up no matter how hard it may seem.

paul315
    Participant

Originally posted by chris-m
    … My main problem is … … …
    Good afternoon Chris, my name is Larry and I am a compulsive gambler, my last bet was August 13, 2009. Welcome to GT, a place that can help you see your true main problem, one of being controlled by an addition to compulsive gambling, no matter what the "**** of choice" may be.
    As for finding a rehab facility, as Bonkers posted, the Gordon Moody Association, the governing head of GT, is a provider of residential treatment for addicted gamblers. You can ask and find other questions about this service in the GMA residential treatment, Q & A  forum, and even find an online application in the link found at  Gordon Moody Residentail Treatment Application Forms.
    As for your problem, roulette machines are not your problem, your problem is compulsive gambling. The machines do not rob you, they merely take the money that you feed them; what robs you is this addiction, your real problem. It robs you of self esteem, control, and rational thinking, not to mention your livelihood and any happiness that is yours when living a more normal life. But, here you can start in finding the underlying reasons behind your problem, you don’t have to wait to be accepted in a rehab program, you can start now. Here you can visit every single day before, and instead of, choosing to go to the bookies. Here you can start reclaiming control and start living a better way by using the services of GT as a threshold for going into any rehab program that you feel you need.
    Read the post of others and use the advice and suggestion that help us to progress on our journeys, do all you can to combat this addiction. Set up berries to help delay acting out any urges or irrational thinking. Use these roadblocks to give you time to make changes to the real problem that most CGs have, an emotional problem that we escape from by using e.g."roulette" machines, a problem that can be faced and diminished through change in our character, lifestyle, thinking, and attitude. Without change there will be no change. 
    God’s speed, use your Higher Power to guide and strengthen you.LarryThanks to my Higher Power, My 3G’s – God, GA, and GT,  "Day Two Is Another Day Behind" and with the help from all , I will continue to remain gambling free.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.