Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      akin
      Participant

Hello guys, my first time trying out one of these (Therapy) or any form of help as regards my budding addiction to online sports betting. I was lured in as an underage with the false promises of multiplying my petty cash mainly due to greed and not for the need for excuses my relatively poor background and the persistent need for extra cash to throw around for some necessities influenced me. It was just a few months away from my acceptance to college that I got really hung with the habit and I lost the trust of my parents which wasn’t initially abundant at the time when they found out. College sent my ecstacy for gambling over the moon because of the freedom I was afforded and the privity of my spendings, no one could monitor or have an idea on how much I lose so I was sucked in harder by the bookies. I lost so much time and money for the first two years but little did I know its bound to get worse after I stopped being a lone wolf in my third year and the couple of friends I could summon happen to be fellow compulsive gamblers. The environment was conducive for me to lay my nest and not worry about consequences since we are all losing together as a group. The one of many mistakes I made was not considering that my so called friends have far better alternative incomes from home and I was all hung up to dry when It comes down to counting losses the next morning. Its my fourth year now and for the first time I finally sought help and think it’s time for a change if I’m going to be able to savage anything for my future since Law school is the only way out from my background as of this moment.
      My country isn’t that big on therapy and I know zero people who have gone through consultation when they could easy go through their religious leaders.
      There’s a lot more to be said and done and I hope this yields for me.

Dunc
      Keymaster

Hello and thanks for starting a thread
      in the Gambling Therapy forums
      Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!
      Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.
      As well as the forums New Members are invited to join Charles in the New Members Practical Advice Group On Mondays at 21:00 (UK) and Thursday at 19:00(UK)
      And on that note….
      I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂
      Take care
      The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

makingchange
      Participant

Good on you for making the first steps! It take a big person to realise it’s an issue and a bigger person to give it up. You have you whole life ahead of you and the damage can be undone. Keep reminding yourself of how lucky you are to be in collage and doing a degree that should hopefully start you on a comfortable life. Those friends, you need to avoid I hate to say it. Some people can casually gamble within their means and walk away, others like you and I will keep chasing.
      Every time you want to gamble remind yourself of the future you want. A loss leads to a chase. A win leads to a “lucky streak” when ends always in a loss bigger then the win. You got this, and your not alone 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.