Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jared1212
      Participant

hi all
      so i’ve been gambling on and of for 7 years, since i started i got better and then started gambling again and it’s out of control i’m in deep deep debt 30k, i can’t see the point in stopping everything i’ve tried drugs doctors sessions nothing works what’s the point, i’ve tried church to, even the minister there told a group of us we weren’t welcome,( noting to do with the gambling a whole nother can of worms the feeling between me and the lord is mutual) i’ve gambled my pay before pay day the last 4 weeks and can’t stop as soon as my pay goes in it’s gone within a few hours, please help, luckily i actually enjoy my job,i could only imagine if i didn’t please any suggestions i haven’t mentioned i don’t sleep well the only times i sleep through the night are on my days off. I’ve always been 2nd to my sister to my parents always had to compete, life’s a bitch and this is just making it worse
      thanks!

Dunc
      Keymaster

Hi Jared, A Warm Welcome to Gambling Therapy
      Having found us you have also found a diverse community who can help and support you on your recovery journey.
      Jared, dont become dispondent over trying and not finding the pathway to recovery that suits you.  There are many pathways some are easy some are hard, by nature were look for the easy pathways… keep looking but this time look at the pathways you havent followed.
      Gamblers Anonymous Australia

Sources of help throughout Australia
      Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and non-judgemental environment and by reading others stories am sure you will see that you are very much not alone in this addiction
      Please click here to see our services page, feel free to use all that this site can offer…
      To chat with others in real time you may wish to make use of the support groups, the ***** of these groups are advertised under "What’s on and When" or click here to see the weekly group schedule.
      For one to one chat you may want to try the live advice helpline. Click "connect" when these options become available.
      Also to say when you registered we would have sent you an email with an attachment, this attachment will help you navigate the site and find the support you so rightly deserve, alternatively this guide can be downloaded by clicking here.  
      Take Care
      Harry
      25 year poker player, 25 year Hierarchal fool, 25 year ego boost…  Intellectualisation was my down fall, simplicity was my salvation

cat438
      Participant

Hi Jared, you have found a place where you will get support from other cg’s who understand the challenges of a gambling addiction.  I know when I first started recovery that I would panic at the thought of never gambling again.  I came on this site and then went on a gambling binge because I could not face the thought of never gambling.  I have been in recovery for over two years now and during that time I have had slips but the support from everyone here has been amazing.  I no longer think about never gambling again I just think about today.  All any of us can do is focus on today.  I would suggest that you read the posts from others, go on the chat line and the helpline as the staff here are unbelievable.  Way to go for coming here!!!!One day at a time my sweet lord…

danchaser
      Participant

Welcome Jared.
      Man, you are in that scary and (unfortunately) familiar place at the moment – and I’m right there with ya, buddy.  Don’t dismiss it or wish for it to disappear, seize it!  Your mind and your body are telling you one thing right now – gambling is detrimental to your well-being, not just financially, but just as importantly, emotionally.
      If today can be the first day of not gambling ever again, isn’t what you’re we’re feeling at the moment one of the best gifts you we’ve have ever received?  The priceless gift of self-preservation?  Up to this point, I’ve always told myself that given a few days or a few weeks of not gambling that I’ll feel better.  And I do…until the inevitable next time.  But what if this feeling is precisely the prescription that we need and is supposed to be harnessed and used?  What if -same as adrenaline – there’s a powerful, potential purpose for this depression and financial hardship, and we simply don’t interpret it as such, so we try to flee from and bury it instead of embrace it as we should?
      Right now, I’m depressed, I’m scared, I feel very alone and I feel so much guilt that I can barely see straight or function, but I’m **** glad I do, since the only thing worse at this moment would be feeling nothing or holding fast to the ridiculous belief that I can win it all back.  For then, I would truly have lost the war against my addiction and nothing would change.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.