Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      lozziegee
      Participant

Just joined this site and wondering if anyone knows of any ways I can ban myself from all gambling sites in one. Have thought I have a gambeling problem for a while. But I’ve been really bad recently, trying to win more to pay off debt like an idiot. Can’t believe how stupid I am. It’s probably not much to anyone on here but just spent what I had to last me 3 weeks until I get paid on the slots. Just bevause, well you know. Just any advice will do. Or anyway to help so I can pay bills. Sorry for the moan. And thanks in advanced. Laura

charles

<

Hello Laura and thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy forums

Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!

Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.

And on that note….

I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our

privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

charles

Hi Laura,

I expect you have been reading some of the other stories here. You will have seen some of the success stories – what are they doing that you can apply to your own situation?

A lot of peole find barriers useful, for instance you can get a blocker you can instal on your PC that will stop you visiting any gambling site. http://www.betfilter.com is one though of course there are others.

Who could you be accountable to? Who might be able to hold your money? What things can you put in place now so that when you get paid again in 3 weeks time you are less able to gamble?

Barriers are useful but they aren’t the total answer to addiction. You don’t have to do this on your own, there is a lot of help around these days. Start a thread on te My Journal Forum, let us know the positive steps you are starting to take. You will get alot of support and feedback there as well as being able to read many stories similar to your own.

Re your current financial situation talk to anyone you own money to. The finances tend to be sorted out fairly quickly once we stop gambling. The opposite is also true though – carry on gambling and it doesn’t really matter how we get out of one hole – we just dig another one!

If the finances are unmanageable then again there are a lot of free agencies around these days, what country are you in?

Maybe get to a gamblers Anonymous meeting – you would find that useful in helping you stop gamblign and also meet peole who can give you local advice on what to do about the finances.

Keep posting and I look forward to hearing how you are doing.

lozziegee
      Participant

Thank you for your advice. sorry took me a while to reply, long day at work.
      There’s nobody I can really give my money to as I live with my mum and she’s an alcoholic, so that will just go on beer. Was thinking of going to the bank and seeing if I can set up an account where I can transfer money in online but can only get out by going in the bank or at a cash machine as I only really gamble online. I’ve blocked myself from all the sites I’m on. And just have my phone bill to pay as a direct debit until I get paid. So was thinking if I pay that as soon as, then take the rest out as cash I know I can’t try to gamble online and have what I have left to live on.
      I think starting a journal will really help as I’ve not told anyone I know about my problem. Guess its embarrassment that stopping me.
      Didn’t know there was agencies to help like that. I’m from the UK. What are these. Could do with a bit just to ease myself until I get paid.
      Again thanks for the advice

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.