Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sammy1954
    Participant

I am 61. I started gambling 2 years ago. I have always been very responsible and level headed. I can’t believe what I have done. I have Lost our life’s savings, my retirement and put us 100k in debt. My husband has no idea how bad it is. He is retired with a small pension. I am the main breadwinner and I have ruined us. My health is failing and I fear I won’t be able to work much longer. I keep thinking it would be best for me to “have an accident” while I’m still working and have life insurance. I don’t know what else to do.

charles

<

Hello and thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy forums

Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!

Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.

And on that note….

I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our
    privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

charles

Hi Sammy,

Well done on looking for help. Things might seem hopeless right now but it never is. There is life after gambling. Look around the site, in the My journal Forum you will read lots of stories you will relate to, see the sort of things that have helped others stop gambling and regain control of their livers. You can too i promise you.

Compulsive gambling is an addiction like any other, sometimes there is no understanding it.

You have a lot of support available to you though, sites like this and places like Gamblers Anonymous to address your gambling, financial/debt advice agencies and if you do have further toughts regarding “an accident” there is always someone you can talk to if you look at this link. http://www.befrienders.org/

I’d suggest ypou start your own thread in that My Journal Forum, you will gt a lot of feedback and support from otehr memebers there. Try and be honest with your husband, he needs to know. He can help you restrict your access to money so you can”t gamble. You will see how barriers like this have helped others, you can also get yourself excluded from where ever it is you have been gambling.

There are aslo groups here you can connect to, a helpline if you want to talk to someone on a one to one basis.

You can get passed this, the important thing now is to use the support that is avaialble to you.

Anonymous

HI Sammy, I know things feel really bad right now, but you can get through this . It is so hard to stop gambling. I know from experience. It is also really hard to tell your husband. I also know this from experience. I think perhaps a good start would be to get some debt advice so you have a plan to get out of debt. It is achievable even though it seems daunting right now . If you could survive maybe on your husbands money and throw all your wages at this debt for the next four years you would retire fairly debt free and with your lump sum and pension you would be ok.Ring one of those debt charities. Also maybe check out Micky’s thread as he is very successfully managing his debt.
    You are not alone, you are not the first to make a mistake.
    You will get through this and look back in a few years grateful that you never had an accident.
    Your health will improve once you have a plan in place and you are not worrying all the time.

Sammmy81
    Participant

Hello sammy,
    It must be something in the name!
    I two have racked up a massive debt and am hiding most of it from my husband.
    I started online gambling a year and a half ago and come clean about some of it to my husband in January!
    He threatened to leave me but came back if I promised not to do it again.
    I started again last month and lost another £3000!
    I can just about cover the debts but it’s the lying a cheating that’s killing me! It’s the fear of doing it again that keeps me awake at night!
    I do NOT ever want to gamble again but always find myself being drawn in!
    I have to young gorgeous boys and want to concentrate on them and not think about where I’m going to get some money from to pay my debts off!
    I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel but just struggling to find it!
    We can do this sammy! I am here to talk if you need to!
    Maybe we can help each other and push each other to be stronger.
    I will fight this and maybe in the future I can help others!
    Good luck x

charles

Hi Sammy 81,

Well done on posting here. It looks like your post has been missed though. Can i suggest you start your own thread in teh My journal Forum. It’s a busier forum and you wil get a lot of feedback and support there.

You can stop gambling, just use the support that you ahve avaialble. Also look at the otehr stories in that forum – what things are theree that are helping others and you can apply to your own situation?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.