Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Chrisleo13
      Participant

I have read a decent amount on this website before actually joining. I think I am starting to develop a problem. Let’s start from the beginning. I’m 26, I have a good job, I have a great life, a great girlfriend, and a supporting family. I started sports gambling 2 years ago and I haven’t really stopped since. Started really small ($20 dollars here, $20 dollars there), recently I have been gambling $1,000 here and $1,000 there. Now I have it in my mind that I am the best Blackjack player on the planet and decide to gamble $1,000s away there. I’d say all in all over the past two years, it has been around $10,000-$12,500. Granted, I have a lot in savings and I make a decent living so it hasn’t affected my lifestyle too much. But I am starting to get the urge more and more to gamble. I have thoughts about it everywhere, everyday. I hide it from my friends and family of how much I have lost. I tell them I have stopped and then continue to do behind their backs. I feel like if I continue down this road, I will eventually lose everything. There has to be a stopping point because I understand that I will never, ever make back that $10,000. But I am having trouble stopping, I am having trouble getting the thoughts out of my head. Tonight was the first night I stopped myself from gambling. I sports bet this morning but I stopped tonight and didn’t reload my account. I am going to try again tomorrow to do nothing at all. I think after a certain amount of time the thoughts will just get out of my head. Any advice will help. I appreciate any help.

Dunc
      Keymaster

Hello and thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy forums

Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!

Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.

And on that note….

I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our
      privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

I_Maverick
      Participant

Hi mate, you have come to the right place. If you feel you have a gambling problem, you probably do. I was in denial for 3 years, and it has led me nowhere. I am about to lose everything. The money doesn’t matter, as you can earn it back. But before long, and this was my experience, the urge too gamble will grow stronger and stronger until it occupies every part of your brain. It stopped me from running my business, which is now in dire trouble. It has wrecked my self esteem, pushed my wife and young child away, and is about to leave me homeless without a job, full of debts and self hatred.

Absintence is the only solution. I thought I could gamble on and off – nope. It always came back. Over the last 6 weeks I have been living a hell I have never experienced before as the slow realisation of the car crash of my life is forming before my eyes. I am now looking at bankruptcy.

Keep posting on here, read other people’s blogs (Fritz’s is excellent, he is making great progress). Me, I am back to square 1 because I gambled yesterday and Saturday, but even though I won I feel like shit because I have let everyone down. Again.

Gambling is a 1 way street to nothing. You will lose all your money, self respect, self esteem. It will make you less productive at work as you think about future bets, recent losses, trying to hide your gambling from those. I created a whole range of alter egos because I didn’t face up to the fact that I am and always ill be now a compulsive gambler. I start off with £10, and before I know it I have gambled for 5 hours and deposited 4K and am chasing deep losses making crazy bets of £500 on a single hand of BJ. I was lucky my last 2 binges didn’t result in a financial loss, but that’s not the point. The point is the next time I play I may run out of money to keep despositing to keep chasing. Yesterday I was 3K in the hole and then won that back, but I know that will not always happen.

The cliche is the house always win – and what we lose is our self respect, trust of our families, self esteem and money.

I am now on day 1 again, and I intent, one day at a time, to rebuild my life. I want to make each day better than the last.

I hope you stick around, and I hope you can stop the gambling before it takes over. You sound like a very smart bloke who found this place on his own.

Good luck and I wish you all the best.

Mav

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.