Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      sherrie
      Participant

I’ve been trying to email some information to my friend Hope but my scan + email thing isn’t working so if noone objects, I’ll post it here and then she can read it and anyone else that’s interested. This stuff is what’s helped me.
      Okies, so Mindfulness is defined as "paying attention in a particular way, on purpose, in the present moment – and non-judgementally". By practising mindfulness techniques, it helps me to be fully present, here and now. I can experience unpleasant thoughts and feelings safely. I can become aware of what I am avoiding (by gambling) and just generally increase my self awareness. Now, when this was taught to me, I was majorly skeptical and the exercises seemed bonkers, but I determined to try them as I was at my rock bottom and the fact is….they worked!!! (for me). I hope they help you too my friend.
      Exercise: One minute of breath awareness.
      Find a way to measure 60 seconds. An alarm clock or an alarm on your phone so that you don’t get distracted looking at your watch.
      For this minute, your task is to move all of your attention to your breathing. It’s just for one minute but it can seem like an eternity. The exercise isn’t about controlling your breathing, it’s just about focusing on it 100% whether it be fast or slow. The sound of air passing through your nostrils and your chest rising and falling. Just maintain 100% focus on your breath.
      Leave your eyes open and breathe normally.
      When your mind starts to wander (and it will) congratulate yourself on noticing your attention has shifted and then bring your attention back to your breath.
      Okay, that prolly sounds like a weird exercise but it’s the second one I was taught and the most useful I think. Try practising it once a day for now. Everyone, no matter how busy can find one minute to do something new. I will post another one next week.
      Sherrie
      xoxoxox

p
      Participant

Thanks Sherrie
      I liked reading and trying to practice these, thanks for posting them
      P

paul315
      Participant

Originally posted by sherrie

… Find a way to measure 60 seconds …

Good morning Sherrie,
      I read in your post in the May ODAAT topic that your are celebrating a milestone and will be honored at your meeting. This achievement was reached by not only not gambling each day, it took being aware each 60 seconds of each day. Using this amount of time each day to focus your thoughts, is the start of finishing each day in a way that keeps us free.
      Well done. God’s speed. Stay strong.LarryThanks to my Higher Power, My 3G's – God, GA, and GT,  "Day Two Is Another Day Behind" and with the help from all I hope to continue to remain gambling free.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.