Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jmeff66
      Participant

Hello there. I have been gambling on and off for 5 years. I never really thought it was a big problem until these past few months. I have spent a lot of money these past 60 days. I feel like I’m always trying to make up my losses. Its maddening trying to win back your losses. I’m starting to feel desperate. Wondering what I can pawn off in order to keep betting. For me, this is insane. I never was this bad before. Plus I don’t want to be known as a compulsive gambler. I hate to tell anyone that I gamble. So I have some question as this is the first time I have attempted to quit.

1) Where do you go if you want to quit
      2)Do you need outside help
      3)Does the urge to gamble lessen over time
      4)What do people do instead of gamble

thank you

jmeff66
      Participant

charles

<

Hello and thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy forums

Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!

Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.

And on that note….

I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our

privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

charles

Hi Jmeff and welcome.

The forum may be a little quieter over the holidays. You might find you get more responses if you post in the Journal Forum as well, that tends to be the busier Forum.

I will give you my own opinions on the questions you have asked.

1. You go to the places that can give you support. Coming here is a good start, there are many forms of support out there these days though so check out some of the others as well. My own recovery centres around Gamblers Anonymous so I’d suggest getign to a meeting if you have one in your area. There are also other online sites, counselling etc

2. In my opinion if we could do it on our own then we wouldn’t have a problem in the first place. It’s not often that coming here, getting to GA or finding support is a gamblers first option. We all tend to try it on our own first,trying to control our gambing, only gambling certain amounts or for a certain length of time etc – again it didn’t work or we wouldn’t be here.

3. Yes it does get easier, I rarely think about gambling these days. It’s not just down to the time since our last bet though; the more we work recovery, address some of the traits that gambling gives us, find other ways to fill our time etc the easier it becomes.

4. We are all different. What hobbies/interests have you had in the past? Things you enjoyed before gambling took over? What have you always fancied trying but never got around to?

Keep posting, maybe in the Journal Forum, and keep reading too. You will see a lot of stories similar to your own. You will also see the success stories – what are they doing that you could apply to your own situation?

Take things a day at a time and I look forward to reading your progress.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.