Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Dove2102
      Participant

Hi

I’m new to the group. My partner is currently on the waiting list for gma programme. I’m so nervous about what to expect and if it will work for him. Am I always going to be worried that he’s gambling or will I learn to trust him again. Should there be things we’ve put in place already for example blocking software?

Just wondering if anyone else has any experiences or stories they would be willing to share with me.

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated

velvet

<

Hello Dove

Thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy friends and family forum. This forum will provide you with warmth and understanding from your peers.

Feel free to use the friends and family group, you’ll find the times for these if you click on the “Group times” box on our Home page. Now that you have introduced yourself you’ll find that many of the people you meet here have already read your initial introduction and they’ll welcome you in like an old friend 🙂

If you’re the friend or family member of someone who is either in, or has been through, the GMA residential programme please take extra care to make sure that nothing you say in groups, or on our forums, inadvertently identifies that person. Even if your loved one isn’t connected with GMA, please don’t identify them either directly or indirectly just in case they decide to use the site themselves.

You’ll find a lot of advice on this site, some of which you’ll follow, some you won’t…but that’s ok because only you fully understand your
      situation and what’s best for you and the people you love. So, take the support you need and leave the advice you don’t because it all comes from a caring, nurturing place 🙂

We look forward to hearing all about you!

Take care

velvet

Hi Dove
      I am dashing off a few words in case you return to the forum before anyone gets a chance to write the full reply that your post deserves but it is late and the best replies are not written when a person is tired.
      You are doing the best thing for your partner posting here and learning about his addiction and the GMA programme; the knowledge will help you cope.
      You cannot make your partner stop gambling, only he can do that but your understanding can be an important part of his recovery. It is better for CGs (compulsive gamblers) to be supported and the right support is so worthwhile.
      Don’t be nervous, your partner could not be going to a better place if he is determined to control his addiction. He may gamble excessively before the date he is accepted or he may resolve to start his gamble-free life now in preparation but whatever he does, he is understood here. Listening to him is more important than asking questions. You can ask me or our Helpline anything that you want to know and you will be answered.
      It would be great if you could join the F&F group on Tuesday between 20.00-21.00 hours UK time, nothing said in the group appears on the forum. It is safe and you will be understood,
      My CG went through the GMA programme about 10 years ago but I remember the anxiety I felt about this experience and I will be happy to walk with you while you wait for him to go in – and also during the time that he is on the project.
      It is because I know the addiction to gamble can be controlled that I am writing to you now.
      I must away but I will write to you asap.
      Velvet

Dove2102
      Participant

Hi velvet,

Thank you so much for your reply. Your last sentence gives me a lot of comfort that it can be controlled. I have been watching another forum before I became aware of this one and it was full of so much negativity that it was starting to eat away at me.

I feel this forum will be a great support for me. Will the group be on on Tuesday with it being a bank holiday?

Do you know what the actual process is? Will he just get a phone call to say a date he will be going?

Thank you again for you reply

Dove

velvet

Hi Dove
      The group will be on, on Tuesday 27th and I look forward to ‘meeting’ you. I always feel members are sitting in comfortable chairs and joined by friendship when they come into a group so in view of the occasion I think we could share a cyber mince pie and a glass of cyber wine.
      I believe your CG will probably be notified in the same way that GMA have already communicated with him. When he goes on the project I will support so that when he comes home your recovery will be well under way.
      Negativity breeds negativity and it is great that you are feeling more positive which hopefully suggests your recovery has already started which is great for your CG because you do matter.
      Keep posting
      Velvet

velvet

Hi Dove
      another quick message – 2 forums below the F&F forum there is a lot of info on the GMA programme.

Hoping to ‘see’ you on Tuesday and answer any questions

Velvet

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.