Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sunflower01
    Participant

Hi. I’ve been struggling lately because my boyfriend of 7 years relapsed and is playing poker again. When he was very bad with gambling about 2 years ago he played poker,bet on sports, you name it he did it. He has acquired so much dept do to his addiction. He got help and went to meetings and he stopped for about a year and a half or so. Recently, I found out he is playing poker again. Not only is he playing poker, but he feels that it could help him/us. I have expressed my fears and concerns with him and have even thought about leaving him or at least moving into separate spaces. I’m just not sure I am ready to do this. His family does not know yet, and I really want to know everyone’s opinion on wherher I should tell them or not. I am so concerned and feel very lost right now. I’d appreciate any insight on this. Thank you. 

velvet

Hello

Thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy friends and family forum. This forum will provide you with warmth and understanding from your peers.

Feel free to use the friends and family group, you’ll find the times for these if you click on the “Group times” box on our Home page

Read about the friends and Family Online Groups

Now that you have introduced yourself you’ll find that many of the people you meet here have already read your initial introduction and they’ll welcome you in like an old friend 🙂

If you’re the friend or family member of someone who is either in, or has been through, the GMA residential programme please take extra care to make sure that nothing you say in groups, or on our forums, inadvertently identifies that person. Even if your loved one isn’t connected with GMA, please don’t identify them either directly or indirectly just in case they decide to use the site themselves.

You’ll find a lot of advice on this site, some of which you’ll follow, some you won’t…but that’s ok because only you fully understand your situation and what’s best for you and the people you love. So, take the support you need and leave the advice you don’t because it all comes from a caring, nurturing place 🙂

We look forward to hearing all about you!

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

velvet

Hi Nmci
    Do you know why your boyfriend sought help five years ago, did he accept then that he had an addiction; were his family aware at that time?
    The reason I am asking these questions is that accepting an addiction is a big step towards taking responsibility and it appears, from your post, that this is what he did.
    Slips do not have to be entirely negative, they can make a compulsive gambler stronger when the realisation hits home that they have slipped back into old behaviours. However, it is important that your boyfriend is made aware of his behaviour before it becomes a full-blown relapse although I accept that this may have already happened from reading your post.
    For some reason, in the past N, your boyfriend faced his demons and tried to live gamble-free; if his family were instrumental, in any way at that time, maybe they could help to open his eyes again. For that reason, if it was me, I would ask for their support.
    Please keep posting
    Velvet

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.