Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      iris
      Participant

Hi.  Just want to check in before I get started on the day’s business.  Lifetime gambler with a lifetime of failed attempts to quit in spite of GA, OPTX, religious beliefs.  This helped me before when I had dificulty working meetings into my schedule.  Started OPTX in July (4xwk/3hrs daily plus 2 hrs drive time), but my daughter (single mom with a 6 yr old) took a fall, ended up in a cast, couldn’t take care of Dad for me and needed help herself, so I had to let it go for now.  Have read a few of your stories, enough, I hope, to help me abstain today.  If you’re reading this, God bless you to make the right choice for yourself today, too.

Anonymous

"If you’re going to die, die. If you’re going to live then FIGHT!!" a quote i read on facebook. we have to fight. basically there is no winning in gambling, and the idea that it is fun and entertainment, i tell you how much fun can losing be, just for a little fun we throw away all our money. we have lost touch with the value of money. i am trying again too, but this time in a religious way, by religious i mean opposing the pressure to conform and gamble and accept that it is alright, just something we do, it is unacceptable and we must fight it with all our might and all our experience. i know i watched a documentary, but they forgot to say that even non compulsive gamblers, i mean people with normal brains, walk away as losers, should we keep this industry just because some people are not compulsive? i wish we wouldn’t have it. it is like a ****, no wonder they call it addiction, but it is a legal ****, like coffee and cigarettes, but at least coffee and cigarettes you don’t lose your life savings doing that, and most people manage to control both to a certain amount. anyway, by religious i mean, i came to realise when i gambled i was in pain, stressed and depressed, i had forgotten that the pain goes away for a while when you gamble, but what i failed to remember was that i had the mental capacity to feel what i call heaven or paradise, it is a state of mind, that i can produce without the aid of slot machines. of i want me time, or want to get away from pain, i don’t need to gamble, what i need to do is access this happiness, what i would call, reserve energy, it is attainable in the here and now. no need for pain, worry, distress, when i know heaven is attainable in my mind. **** it until you make it. wishinng you make the right choice, and lets fight this demon once and for all.

trulyshi
      Participant

I actually did make a good choice today Iris and it’s making me happy.  Hope your daughter is healing okay and is out of her cast by now.  I too have had a lifetime of failed attempts to stop gambling, but it only takes once for it to kick in and be firm in our recovery and then all those failed attempts will be forgettable and behind us.  Good luck to you and hang in there.  Debbie

Dunc
      Keymaster

Hi Iris, A Warm Welcome to Gambling Therapy
      Having found us you have also found a diverse community who can help and support you on your recovery journey.
      Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and non-judgemental environment and by reading others stories am sure you will see that you are very much not alone in this addiction
      Please click here to see our services page, feel free to use all that this site can offer…
      To chat with others in real time you may wish to make use of the support groups, the ***** of these groups are advertised under "What’s on and When" or click here to see the weekly group schedule.
      For one to one chat you may want to try the live advice helpline. Click "connect" when these options become available.
      Also to say when you registered we would have sent you an email with an attachment, this attachment will help you navigate the site and find the support you so rightly deserve, alternatively this guide can be downloaded by clicking here.  
      Take Care
      HarryWatch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

iris
      Participant

Hi.  Thank you for the encouragement.  I’m having a rough time with abstinence, so it helps.  As painful as it is not to have the money to pay bills because I lost it gambling,it feels like it’s about money, but my finances are the first thing to improve when I don’t gamble,so that doesn’t make sense.  I write out a budget, anyway, and it’s very clear how whacked out my financial priorities are.  I won’t even go into the issue of time lost.   SO! if you can help me stand up to these foolish choices, I’m very greatful for your thoughts.  God bless you today.

iris
      Participant

This morning I can deposit one day of not gambling to my tiny account in the Abstinence Bank.  It’s not much, but it will convert to cash in my real bank account at the end of the month if I keep depositing days.  I want somethng visual, like quarters in a bottle, to mark the days–they get lost on the calendar.  Something pretty to set in the kitchen window where I can see it often.  Well, I’m off to have some quiet time with God before I tackle the day.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.