Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      andyo
      Participant

This is new to me actually stopping and doing something about my gambling I in the past have tried to stop and the only reason was because a was loosing then a week or 2 down the line a would stick a small bet on get a few winners then back into the circle off loosing this time I know a need to stop 7000 in debt and it keeps mounting but a feel it never to late to stop a know I will need help along the way and if people could give me some advice on this it would help a lot thanks– 2/6/2013 2:15:22 PM: post edited by harry.

velvet

Hi Andyo
      Welcome to Gambling Therapy
      There is an expression on this site – that if what you have been doing before has not changed a thing, then maybe it is time you did something different?
      Today you have done something different by joining this site and I believe if you stick with it, reading, posting and joining groups you will get the support you want to live a gamble-free life. 
      You have recognised that you are in a cycle and you want it to stop.   It certainly is never too late – but sooner rather than later has to be the best.  I don’t do ‘what ifs’ or ‘if only’ – and there will certainly be less need of them in your life if you start your recovery today.    
      Learn about your addiction – knowledge will help you cope with it.   If you test your addiction you are not accepting it, so a bet a week or two down the line is not your answer. 
      Please write more about yourself.   I am not a CG (compulsive gambler) but you will soon have replies from those who are, who are seeking their recovery like you, or who have found it. I had just popped in and saw you had not had a reply yet, so I wanted to welcome you. 
      By starting your thread you have done the best thing for yourself.   Keep posting.   I hope to see you off your cycle and enjoying a gamble-free life soon.
      Well done on your first post
      Velvet  

paul315
      Participant

Originally posted by andyo

… in the past have tried to stop and the only reason was because a was loosing …

Good morning Andy, my name is Larry and I am a compulsive gambler, my last bet was October 17, 2013, I started recovery over three years ago not only because I was loosing, but because I finally realized and "admitted that I was powerless over gambling – that my life had become unmanageable". 
      Welcome to GT, a place that will help you learn how to stay stopped now that you have actually stopped and are doing something about it. We have all stopped many ***** in the past for various reasons, stopping is not the hard part, staying stopped and gambling free is  he hard part, the part where we need to combat our addiction with a true desire, diligent work, and continues efforts.
      Your coming here today is not only a positive step for you, but it is a reminded to us what gambling would hold for us if we were to return to our **** to test the waters, a reminded that things have not changed in the world of gambling or in the destruction that it would bring to us. Thanks for being here and being a value to our recovery as well as a renewing a value to yourself and a start of your own path to recovery.
      As Velvet posted, "if what you have been doing before has not changed a thing, then maybe it is time you did something different?", this truth is also  expressed in the cliche, "if nothing changes, nothing changes", and in part of the Gamblers Anonymous principles of  recovery, "How does someone stop gambling through the Gamblers Anonymous Program (or another program of your choice, but I recommend trying GA)?  — One does this through bringing about a progressive character change within oneself".   Keep coming back here to find the ways and means to bring about the needed changes in your life, changes in your lifestyle, thinking, and attitude. Look for a live support group in you area such as GA, do all that you can to combat this addiction and stay gambling free. And the best advice that I can think of is to "not gamble for anything" while you are working on recovery; giving into an urge or temptation, an urge that will pass without causing you any harm, only strengthens the addition, while each day in this One Day At A Time process that you do not gamble strengthens you and your resolve to become the person that you are meant to be and move you toward thinking and living in a more normal way.
      God’s speed, use your Higher Power to guide and strengthen you.LarryThanks to my Higher Power, My 3G's – God, GA, and GT,  "Day Two Is Another Day Behind" and with the help from all I hope to continue to remain gambling free.

Anonymous

Hi Andyo, A Warm Welcome to Gambling Therapy
       Having found us you have also found a diverse community who can help and support you on your recovery journey.
       Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and non-judgemental environment and by reading others stories am sure you will see that you are very much not alone in this addiction
       Please click here to see our services page, feel free to use all that this site can offer…
       To chat with others in real time you may wish to make use of the support groups, the ***** of these groups are advertised under "What’s on and When" or
      click here to see the weekly group schedule.
       For one to one chat you may want to try the live advice helpline. Click "connect" when these options become available.
       Also to say when you registered we would have sent you an email with an attachment, this attachment will help you navigate the site and find the support you so rightly deserve, alternatively this guide can be downloaded by clicking here.  
      Take Care
       The Gambling Therapy Team

stupidgirl34
      Participant

Take it an hour and then a day at a time. Celebrate the small victories because at first it is very hard for each moment. Put barriers in place like not having access to money. That was a huge thing for me. First, because as an independent adult it’s hard to give someone else control and second because you have to admit to people (other than yourself) how big your problem is. As CG’s who are actively gambling we all work very hard to hide our problem. But it’s so so much easier to make it through an urge when you don’t have any money to gamble with anyway. Plus you know there is someone who will hold you accountable. Also self exclusion or banning is a great (and for me necessary) barrier. It made me feel so proud of myself to take those steps and has helped a lot. Remember two things. 1. There will be good days and bad days bug it does get easier (at least it has for me). 2. There is no judgement here. If you fall off the wagon or whatever you can post it here and people will still be supportive. You just have to get right back up and try again. Goodluck! I believe that you can be successful! We all can!
      I will make this work!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.