Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      hopeful4
      Participant

I have been gambling almost every day for the last 3 years. I have spent every dime I have over and over again. I tell myslef each time I spend every dime I win or loose it is the last time… Yet I always go back. . Even though loosing the money is a big disappointment, the bigger disappointment is the loss of my sense of sanity. I physically have changed. I mentally have changed. My friends and family do not see my destruction because I don’t ask for money or have problems paying my bills. I cover it well. I want to stop!
      I’ve been to conseling. I know the steps to take, yet I do not take them. I need help badly. I have been ashamed to write or talk about to anyone but my doctor until today. I want my peace of mind back. This blog will ne my start. Day 1.

Anonymous

HI Hopeful. I love your name and you have every reason to be hopeful. I think you have, like many others on here, a gambling disorder. I’m not sure most doctors know how to go about helping people with this disorder. In fact I’m not sure how many counsellors know.
      You have taken a great positive step in coming on here. You will get lots of support from staff and users on the site alike.

Somethings you can do for yourself right away: MAT..money access time.
      If you remove one of these things you can’t gamble. So you could maybe get someone’s help in managing your money, cut up all cards, only carry the cash you need.
      You could put a gambling block on your computer, self ban from gambling establishments etc.
      Today is day 1 and a good day to achieve all this.

You will get lots of support on here and the groups where you can chat to others are really good .

The Important thing to remember is that, although it seems overwhelming now, this disorder is only a small part of you. You are a whole person with many qualities.

Like you I managed to keep my head above water financially so it was easier to cover up, but of course I always just wanted to stop. I have a family who love me and it hurt me so much that this disorder at times seemed to take over.
      i am now in remission, mostly thanks to all the support I received on this site, and you will be writing the same soon.

Welcome and well done for joining

Dunc
      Keymaster

<

Hello and thanks for starting a thread in the Gambling Therapy forums

Here at Gambling Therapy we pride ourselves on being a caring and diverse online community who can help and support you with the difficulties you’re currently facing. We understand that this might be a tough time for you, particularly if you’re new to recovery, so come here as often as you need to and participate in the forums, access online groups and connect to the live advice helpline if you need one to one support. We’re in this together!

Here on the forum you can share your experiences in a safe, supportive and accepting environment. The beauty of writing it all down is that you can take your time and you will be creating a record of your progress that you can look back on if it ever feels like you’re not moving forward. So, share as much or as little as you like but do try to stick to keeping just one thread in this forum so people know where to find you if they want to be updated on your progress or share something with you.

And on that note….

I’m going to hand you over to our community because I’m sure they will have some words of wisdom for you 🙂

Take care

The Gambling Therapy Team

PS: Let me just remind you to take a look at our
      privacy policy and terms and conditions so you know how it all works!

hopeful4
      Participant

Thank you for the warm welcome. I think my first step is MAT. My sister knows about the gambling, but not the extent of it. I think I will bring her to help me become accountable. I am out of control right now. I pay my bills and get the necessicities and gamble the rest close to pay dates! I dont understand thst part of the behavior.

hopeful4
      Participant

Done. Thanks.

Anonymous

Well done hopeful..so that’s you in recovery..try make some of the support groups ..you will be made really welcome..

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.