Gambling Therapy logo
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      bigade72
      Participant

I don’t know how to start but i suppose the only way is from the beginning, if i can remember it all.
      I am 40 years old and i have been gambling since i was in my teens. My parents split when i was 8 and every Saturday was spent with my Dad, more than likely sat watching the old world of sport and the racing…It started just as 50p each way on the national but the minute Maori Venture crossed the line at 28/1 I suppose that it became a problem from then.
      I started work at 17 on a yts as a trainee quantity surveyor, £29.50 a week for what seemed like 100 hours work a week. The hours from 9 until 1 dragged but the thought of an hour in the bookies got me through. Eventually i was made redundant but found work easy to get. The more money i earned the more i lost!!!
      Then for me the day it all changed was when i first set eyes on those bloody roulette machines. The worst thing was the first day i played them, i won and won big..The most i have ever earnt in a week is about £400 yet i was playing £100 a spin, no method but just tapping away randomly at a computer screen. My family all comment on how bright and intelligent I am but here i was playing against a computer, somewhere along the line reasoning just went out of the window.
      I have lost countless jobs and relationships which have all been caused by my greed filled desires to win.
      Then 3 years ago something should have changed me. I met a lady who became my wife and her 3 children. We were together every hour of every day and soon after, on my birthday, i found out i was going to be a dad for the first time. This should have been the kick up the backside i needed but i continued to gamble, every time i looked at her feeling more and more guilty. 
      My wife has always been there for me but even her patience and love is probably wearing a bit thin, she gives me everything but i continue to let her down. I’ve tried GA, couselling and even hypnosis but continue to act on my urges and disappear to gamble…I want to change so badly but just don’t know how to begin.
       Kiss me where the sun don't shine, the past was yours but the futures mine

Dunc
      Keymaster

Hi Bigade
      Thank you for posting on the Gambling Therapy forum. As you are a GB resident you are entitled to free online support through the Gamcare website at http://www.gamcare.org.uk/ .
      You could also consider residential treatment which you can find out more about by following the below link:
      http://www.gordonmoody.org.uk/
      Can I suggest that you now copy and paste your post into one of the Gamcare forums where you will receive responses from others in a similar situation to you from all over Great Britain.
      You can also access online or face to face group support through Gamblers Anonymous:
      http://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/
      We wish you well in your recovery.
      Kind Regards
      The Gambling Therapy Team25 year poker player, 25 year Hierarchal fool, 25 year ego boost…  Intellectualisation was my down fall, simplicity was my salvation

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.